Essential Library Resources for Primary and Secondary Classes
When public library and school staff work together, children’s reading skills can improve dramatically and at Glasgow Libraries we offer many services and visits to encourage a lifelong love of books.
Our dedicated Young People's Team have extensive experience of working with children and look forward to working with you and your pupils.
This Glasgow-wide initiative offers free transport to schools and educational establishments to increase opportunities for children and young people to access services offered by Glasgow Life and Glasgow City Council including museums, sports centres, parks, libraries and arts venues.
Contact our Class Connections team for more information on 0141 287 2987
What Libraries can offer your class
Libraries provide a whole range of services and support to schools and we look forward to welcoming you and your class to your local Glasgow library.
- Education/Introductory Visits: An introduction to how the library works and how to join
- Reference / IT Visits: How to find information using reference books, the Internet and CD-ROMs
- Reading Challenges: Scheme for Primary 5-7 pupils over a series of visits
- Visual Literacy: A guide through the work of Children’s Laureate, Anthony Browne.
- 'Count Me In' Primary: A great way to help Primary pupils learn about numbers.
- Book Exchanges: These class visits encourage independent library use by children
- Book Bonanzas: The library comes to you! For schools not within easy distance to a library.
- Project Visits: Research a specific school project - the library will have plenty of stock that will be of use to pupils.
- Themed Events: Let's Celebrate - A variety of themed visits through the year tying in with national initiatives.
- Talks / Presentations - Regular talks for children take place in libraries. Check the website for listings or look out for emails from our team. We can also come to your school to give a presentation on library services to your classes or parents evenings.
- Mitchell Library Visits: Introductory and behind the scenes tours of The Mitchell Library
- History of Glasgow Bus Tour: A trip through Glasgow’s history - visiting important sites, past, present and future.
Contact 0141 287 2999 for more information.