The Mitchell Library holds historical voters' and valuation rolls for Glasgow and the West of Scotland.
Voters' rolls (or electoral registers) list all those who are eligible to vote in local or general elections.
Valuation rolls contain lists of owners and the rateable value of commercial and domestic properties as well as the names of tenants and their occupations. From 1988, only commercial properties are included.
Voters and valuation rolls can be used for:
- tracing the history of a building
- tracing the use of a building
- tracing a family member - note that voters rolls and valuation rolls are indexed by address only
Our holdings cover a wide geographical area including:
- Glasgow Voters' rolls, 1832-1914, 1918-1939, 1945 - present day
- Glasgow Valuation rolls, 1913 -1989
Our holdings are incomplete for areas outside Glasgow so please contact the Family History Centre for advice if your enquiry concerns these areas.
Information held on voters' rolls cannot be copied by the public.