Disruption to Services and Temporary Floor Closures (updated Aug 2014)
The Mitchell Complex is undergoing redevelopment work to replace the Fire Protection System and improve The lighting and electrical infrastructure. This is to ensure that we continue to Both safeguard the library’s collections and the rich heritage of the City and offer the highest level of comfort and safety to our customers.
However, we are now coming to the end of the redevelopment work within the public areas of the building and are pleased to announce that from Monday 25th August our Baillie’s Reading Room will reopen on Level 2 and the Literature Centre on Level 3.
Some ongoing works will continue until October 2014 but we hope that these will not impede unduly on public areas of the building.
Improved Service Provision
The re-development work provides us with an opportunity to re-organise and improve service provision:
- a new Family History Centre is open on Level 5 offering unrivalled access to Family History resources in Glasgow
- Archives, Special Collections and the Registrar’s Service have relocated to Level 5
- the general library collections including Art, History, Language, Music, Philosophy, Religion, Science & Technology, Social Sciences and Travel are available on Level 4
- a Literature Centre and Education Space will open on Level 3
- an improved study space will be available on Level 2
- the two public lifts will be upgraded
We hope all our Mitchell Library customers will enjoy these improvements and would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience which may be caused during the redevelopment work. At all times we will attempt to minimise the disruption to our services as much as possible. Thank you for your patience.