Disruption to Services and Temporary Floor Closures
The Mitchell Complex is undergoing redevelopment work to replace the Fire Protection System and improve The lighting and electrical infrastructure. This is to ensure that we continue to Both safeguard the library’s collections and the rich heritage of the City and offer the highest level of comfort and safety to our customers.
Levels 2 & 3 will remain closed until June 2014
As part of ongoing works to improve the infrastructure of The Mitchell Library, the passenger lifts are being replaced and upgraded. This project is expected to be complete by the end of October 2014.
Every effort is being made to ensure that one lift is operational at all times in the coming months, however should you require any further information or assistance, please inquire at the Granville Street Information desk.
Improved Service Provision
The re-development work provides us with an opportunity to re-organise and improve service provision:
- a new Family History Centre is open on Level 5 offering unrivalled access to Family History resources in Glasgow
- Archives, Special Collections and the Registrar’s Service have relocated to Level 5
- the general library collections including Art, History, Language, Music, Philosophy, Religion, Science & Technology, Social Sciences and Travel are available on Level 4
- a Literature Centre and Education Space will open on Level 3
- an improved study space will be available on Level 2
- the two public lifts will be upgraded
We hope all our Mitchell Library customers will enjoy these improvements and would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience which may be caused during the redevelopment work. At all times we will attempt to minimise the disruption to our services as much as possible. Thank you for your patience.