Temporary Floor Closures
The Mitchell Complex is soon to undergo redevelopment work to replace the Fire Protection System within the building and improve lighting and the electrical infrastructure.
This is to ensure that we continue to safeguard the library’s collections and the rich heritage of the City that is housed within the building and offer the highest level of comfort and safety to our customers.
Due to the works the following closures will apply:
14th Nov 2013 Levels 4 & 5 will close and reopen in March 2014
March 2014 Levels 2 & 3 will close and reopen in June 2014
During this time there will be limited access to some of the library’s collections and only one of the customer passenger lifts will be operating at any one time. Please note that there will be no online reservations accepted for general stock for the duration of the closure.
To discuss how we can assist you to access our collections, please phone 0141 287 2999 in advance of your visit.
Improved Service Provision
The redevelopment work provides us with an opportunity to reorganise and improve service provision to our customers and following the completion of all the work the following services will be available:
- a new Family History Centre will open on Level 5 offering unrivalled access to Family History resources in Glasgow
- Archives, Special Collections and the Registrar’s Service will also relocate to Level 5
- our general library collections including Art, History, Language, Music, Philosophy, Religion, Science & Technology, Social Sciences and Travel will relocate to Level 4
- a Literature Centre and Education Space will be housed on Level 3
- an improved study space will be available on Level 2
- the two public lifts will be upgraded.
We hope all our Mitchell Library customers will enjoy these improvements, but would like to apologise in advance for any inconvenience which may be caused during the redevelopment work. At all times we will strive to minimise the disruption to our services and thank you for your patience.