Adding to the Collections

The profit of £39,000 from the 1901 International Exhibition effectively became the city’s purchase fund to enrich the art collection over the following 50 years. In 1914, the collection featured around 1,000 oil paintings, which had risen to more than 1,500 by the outbreak of World War II in 1939.   The National Art Collections Fund and the Contemporary Art Society also helped the Museum fund new acquisitions during this time.
Glasgow Life Logo
CONTACT US