Life Gallery is Closed
The Life Gallery in the West Court of the museum is currently closed until December 2016. This is to allow the works to be carried out for the second phase of our redisplay project.
For more information on the redisplay project, click here.
About Kelvingrove and the Collection
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum is one of Scotland's most popular free attractions. It has been a favourite with Glasgow residents and visitors since it opened in 1901.
The museum has 22 themed galleries displaying an astonishing 8000 objects, brought together from across Glasgow Museums’ rich and varied collection, which is a Recognised Collection of National Significance. The displays are extensive and wide-ranging, including:
- Dutch Old Masters and French Impressionists including one of the largest and finest collections of 17th century Dutch and Flemish art in the UK and one of the most important collections of 19th century French oils in the UK
- Scottish Art including galleries dedicated to the Glasgow Boys and Scottish Colourists and the newly acquired 'Glasgow Fair' by John Knox (1776/8-1845)
- Salvador Dali’s Christ of St John of the Cross
- Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Glasgow Style – a gallery dedicated to one of Glasgow’s most famous sons and the style movement which was the UK’s contribution to Art Nouveau
- Natural history including dinosaurs and other prehistoric mammals
- Arms and armour – this collection is of international significance, including the R L Scott bequest, which had been one of the finest private collections of European arms and armour in the world
- Ancient Egypt – this collection is of national significance, featuring several objects of unique importance linked to historical figures
- Scottish history and archaeology including a wealth of material relating to the early settlements across Scotland and life on St Kilda
- World cultures including nationally and internationally significant objects from the Americas, Africa, South Asia and Oceania
For visitors who use British Sign Language or International Sign Language our videos below provide welcome information to the museum. These videos will give you introductory information for the museum including details on our collection and how you can get involved with events at this museum.