Spitfire LA198 is a Mark 21 Spitfire built in 1944 with a Rolls Royce Griffon 61 engine and a five blade propeller. It flew with the 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron between 1947-1949.
The plane was restored in a joint project between Glasgow Museums and the National Museums of Scotland. It was originally on display in Glasgow’s Museum of Transport, then following Kelvingrove’s refurbishment, it was relocated to become part of an innovative new display. Five teams of experts worked on the project, including a group of lifting experts who were responsible for raising the aircraft into its new position, suspended above the West Court.