Spitfire LA198 History
21 September 1944
Aircraft built at South Marston, Wiltshire. Test flight by Flight Lieutenant Johnson, duration 25 minutes.
2 October 1944
Taken on charge at 33 MU (Maintenance Unit), Lyneham. Delivered by Captain Hughes, ATA (Air Transport Auxiliary).
3 May 1945
Allocated to No 1 Squadron, Manston.
4 October 1945
Placed in storage at No 9 (Maintenance Unit), Cosford.
12 May 1947
Allocated to 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron Royal Auxiliary Air Force.
25 October 1947
Damaged in a Category 'A' flying accident.
11 May 1948
Repairs completed by No 63 MU (Maintenance Unit), Carluke.
22 July 1949
Emergency landing Horsham St Faith due to engine failure. Pilot Jim Johnston intentionally ground-looped aircraft. Category 'B' damage sustained.
9 August 1949
Dispatched to Vickers Armstrong, South Marston for repair.
21 July 1950
Repair work completed.
27 July 1950
Aircraft collected by No 33 MU (Maintenance Unit), and placed in storage.
19 September 1951
Allocated to No 3 Civilian Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit, Exeter.
19 November 1953
Returned to Vickers Armstrong for possible resale.
19 February 1954
Presented to No 187 Squadron ATC at Worcester, given serial number 7118M.
Use in Battle of Britain film.
Restored and on display as gate guardian RAF Locking, Avon.
Rolls Royce Griffon 61 engine removed for BBMF PR 19.
Moved to RAF Leuchars, Fife.
6 June 1986
Dedication ceremony at Leuchars for refurbished aircraft now on display as a gate guardian.
12 April 1989
Moved from RAF Leuchars to RAF St Athan for storage.
Moved to RAF Museum Store, Cardington.
Gifted to the City of Glasgow.
4 March 1998
Delivered to the National Museum of Flight, East Fortune, for restoration.
Aircraft arrives and is assembled at Museum of Transport, Glasgow.
Aircraft is on display at the reopening of Kelvingrove Art Gallery Museum.