Spitfire LA198 is a Mark 21 Spitfire built in 1944. It hangs from the ceiling of the west court.
The plane was built with a Rolls Royce Griffon 61 engine and a five bladed propeller. It flew with the 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron from between 1947–1949.
After a short service career, it was used as a ‘gate guardian’ at RAF Leuchars in Fife. In 1996 it was given to the city of Glasgow to act as a memorial to the men of 602 Squadron.
It was restored in a joint project between Glasgow Museums and the National Museums of Scotland.
Before being suspended from the ceiling in Kelvingrove, it was on display in the Museum of Transport.
Five teams of experts worked full-time on the Spitfire.
One team restored the aeroplane, while another manufactured the fittings for hanging it in the west court. Another team made the beam and fixed it in position.
A team designed the hanging system. And a group of lifting experts were responsible for raising the aircraft into its final position.