The mask is powerful, transforming the wearer into a medium for communication.
Masks are universal in:
- geographic spread, and
- diversity of use.
- made from a variety of different materials
- come in all shapes and sizes, and
- are worn in different ways.
The story explores both their power to communicate, and where that power comes from.
Comparisons are made between:
- masks intended to convey messages through performance
- those that are an essential component of ritual
- those used for protection, and
- masks which are worn for fun or used to create intrigue.
The changing identity of the wearer in each instance is explored.
Music and performance objects are an integral part of the masquerade.
They represent a vital component of the development of the mask and the individual traditions involved with each mask’s use.