After two weeks of incredible public interest, the online ballot to apply to join in the party at Glasgow’s Queens Baton Relay’s three Finish Line Celebration Events has closed.
All three Finish Line Celebration Events were more than two times over-subscribed. Over 5000 tickets for each of the three finish line celebrations will be allocated to those who applied. Tickets will be divided into two ‘pots’ with 80% of tickets being reserved for those living in the Glasgow City Council planning area which is hosting the evening Finish Line events and the remaining 20% will be allocated to all other applicants. Names out of these ‘pots’ will be drawn at random and applicants advised if they have been successful by email over the next couple of weeks.
Everyone attending the three Finish Line Celebration Events over the three days will enjoy a feast of Commonwealth flavours in Springburn Park (20th July), Victoria Park (21st July) and the Queen’s Park Recreation Ground (22nd July). There will be ‘come and try’ sports, arts and dance activities along with lots of special entertainment including dance performances and a spectacular music programme that will be headlined by the energetic force of Salsa Celtica.
If you didn’t get the chance to apply for a Finish Line Celebration Event all is not lost, as the Queen’s Baton will visit every part of Glasgow as it travels through the Host City in the three days immediately before the Opening Ceremony of the XX Commonwealth Games on the 23rd July. The route will take in world-famous landmarks and attractions as well as being celebrated in every community across the city. The relay is the chance to celebrate Glasgow’s local heroes - every batonbearer has been nominated in recognition of their contributions to local sport, community and youth.
During the three day relay Glasgow’s streets will be brought to life when the soundscape of our city will be amplified with live bands, drummers and choirs. The roads and paths will be animated with circus acts, dancers and street performers. Community spaces will be transformed with banners, bunting and colourful installations. It is an exciting opportunity for everyone to be involved, from cheering along the route as it snakes across the city to attending special events. The Queens Baton Relay is a great opportunity for the people of Glasgow to show their support for their community heroes carrying the baton; demonstrate pride in their city and show the world how Glasgow celebrates!
Councillor Gordon Matheson, Leader of Glasgow City Council, said:
“The public demand for tickets for the Finish Line Celebration Events has been fantastic. I really hope the people of Glasgow take full advantage of the baton visiting every part of the city over the three day relay.
“This is the perfect opportunity to get out onto your streets and cheer on the baton as it passes your door and give those local heroes - the batonbearers - some fantastic support to thank them for all of their contributions to local sport, community and youth groups.
“The Games are a chance to showcase our great city on a global stage and I’ve no doubt that that the people of Glasgow will be the stars of the show.”
Each day will start with a special start line event moment at the People’s Palace (20th July), Riverside Museum and the Tall Ship (21st July) and Cathkin Braes (22nd July)
On 20th July, the baton will pass by landmarks including the Gallery of Modern Art, Glasgow Royal Concert Hall and Buchanan Street, George Square and Glasgow City Chambers, Glasgow Cathedral, Mitchell Library and Celtic Park and Emirates Arena, as well as communities across the north and east of the city.
The following day, the baton will visit the West End, taking in venues including the SECC and Hydro, the Finnieston Crane, the Royal Hospital for Sick Children, the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum, University of Glasgow, the Botanic Gardens and Maryhill Burgh Halls.
On the final day of the relay, the baton will travel to the south side, visiting landmarks such as Hampden Stadium, Tramway, House for an Lover, the Citizens Theatre and the Burrell Collection.
Throughout the three-day relay, the baton will reach communities across the city, with a range of community-led celebrations along the route. To look at the routes for each day of the three day relay please go to www.glasgow2014.com/baton-relay.
The baton is currently travelling through Scotland for the final leg of the relay. The last lap of its journey will be in the host city of the Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games when over 400 batonbearers will proudly carry the baton through their city over the three days before the 288 day relay concludes on 23rd July 2014 at the Opening Ceremony, when the baton is delivered back to Her Majesty The Queen or her representative. After reading Her message of welcome to the athletes of the Commonwealth, the Games will officially begin.