Let's Talk @ The Mitchell
Dates and times
Each week we bring out items from our rich and varied collections which reflect world events, social conditions, technological advancements and cultural change across the globe. Our vast collections cover books, photographs, journals and historical documents spanning centuries. Join us for a 15 minute lunchtime opportunity to see and talk to staff about our collections!
Come along and see a selection of our vast collection of material relating to ships and shipbuilding.
Our display will include items highlighting Glasgow and the Clyde’s important role but will also showcase material with a wider focus:
• Two Centuries of Shipbuilding by the Scotts at Greenock (1920)
• Song of the Clyde: A History of Clyde Shipbuilding (1984)
• The Fairfield Shipbuilding & Engineering Company Limited (archive images)
• Yarrows 1865 – 1977 (1977)
• Workshop of the British Empire: Engineering and Shipbuilding in the West of Scotland (1977)
• Men of the Clyde: Stanley Spencer’s Vision at Port Glasgow (2000)
• Shipbuilder: The Journal of The Shipbuilding, Marine Engineering and Allied Industries from 1912
• Shipping World from 1886
• Sea Breezes from 1919
• Lloyds Maritime Atlas from 1961
This and other material on ships and shipbuilding is available on Levels 4 and 5 of The Mitchell Library.
For more details on the #MitchellCurious programme, look out for the Mitchell Library Facebook page and #MitchellCurious on Glasgow Libraries’ Twitter feed.