Dates and times
A tour behind the scenes of the famous Mitchell Library. Places are limited. The tour involves stairs and walking so may not be suitable for those with certain mobility issues.
The Mitchell Library, with its distinctive copper dome, is one of Glasgow's most famous landmarks. Hear more about its evolution from the 1904 competition when the Corporation decided to erect a new building and an architectural competition was held and plans by William B. Whitie were chosen.
Problems with space meant that an extension was begun in 1939. Building work was discontinued during the WWII and this extension finally opened in 1963. In 1962, the St Andrew's Halls was destroyed by fire, putting the adjacent Mitchell Library at considerable risk. After much debate it was agreed that the site could be used for a library extension and Edinburgh architect's, Sir Frank Mears and Partners were appointed to prepare the plans. The new extension was begun in 1972 and opened in 1981. The original façade of the St Andrew's Halls, with its impressive statuary, became part of the new exterior.