Services and Support for Blind and Partially Sighted People
Please note that due to Covid-19, the Resource Unit for Vision Impaired People (RUVI) is currently closed.
Resource Unit for Vision Impaired People (RUVI)
RUVI offers a range of specialist equipment to enable blind and partially sighted people to independently access print and electronic content. From historical tomes to the latest blogs there is an access technology solution that will help.
A Braille transcription service is available to individuals. Hard copy or electronic Braille can be provided.
A weekly Braille class is run by a volunteer tutor. The class is open to blind and sighted learners. Learning materials and equipment are loaned for the duration of the course.
Events and Demonstrations
• Book Blethers is a quarterly readers’ group. Blind and partially sighted readers meet to share thoughts and opinions on their recent reads. There is also lively discussion on various ways of finding books in accessible formats and the technology used to read.
• Throughout the year there are demonstrations of new access technology equipment. In RUVI’s smaller and quieter atmosphere, there is the opportunity for blind people to experience hands-on time with this new equipment.
Access Technology equipment
- Aladdin and SmartView video magnifiers
- Rubi hand-held Video magnifier
- Victor Stratus and Stream audio players
- Focus 40 refreshable Braille Displays
- Orbit 20 Braille reading device
Desktop PCs containing
- JAWS screen reading software
- ZoomText magnification software
- Kurzweil 1000 scan & read software
Individuals who want to learn how to use any of the equipment can book an initial session to try it out. A further six 1-to-1 sessions can be offered.
Tuesday to Thursday 9-5pm
To find out more about how this equipment can help you, have a demonstration or book a session, call 0141 287 2920 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org