Museums Staff Update Friday 30th March
It is hard to believe that it has been a year since buildings closed. Over this time we have appreciated the energy, enthusiasm and creativity that has been displayed in so many ways by all teams across the service.
While some buildings open again at the end of April, many of us will continue to work at home for some time yet. Whatever your working days will look like over the next few months, please know that we appreciate your ongoing commitment.
A few weeks ago a member of the team suggested sharing links to some resources to support our wellbein – thank you. You can find her suggestions and the links below.
Duncan, Jane and Katherine
A member of the museums’ team has pulled together some introductory wellness and mindfulness resources for a range of wellbeing activities that you may wish to explore.
Please choose any that look fun, or interesting, or restful – the choice is up to you.
- NHS 5 steps to wellbeing https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/improve-mental-wellbeing/
- NHS Healthy Living information https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/
- NHS guide to mindfulness https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mindfulness/
Walking, Cycling and Running:
- Paths for all: Walking during periods of social distancing: https://www.pathsforall.org.uk/lets-walk/tips-and-stories/tip-and-story/walking-during-periods-of-social-distancing
- Couch to 5k (popular running plan for beginners) https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/couch-to-5k-week-by-week/
- Map of cycle paths in Glasgow and route planning: https://glasgow.cyclestreets.net/
Exercise and Being Active at Home:
- Paths for all- guide on keeping active at home https://www.pathsforall.org.uk/lets-walk/tips-%20and-stories/tip-and-story/keeping-active-at-home
- Free online workouts from the NHS https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitness-studio/
- Free 10 minute workouts from the NHS https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/10-minute-workouts/
Information for Line Managers
- There is a course on Mentally Healthy Workplaces on Gold https://tracking.brightwave.co.uk/lnt/Glasgow/Login.aspx?ts=634993922982812500
Information for All Staff
These resources are intended for you to use informally at home. If, however, you feel you are struggling with your mental health, please seek help as soon as possible. You can speak to your line manager to discuss what steps can be taken to support you in the workplace, but your GP is the best person to contact for professional medical advice.
- There are a range of wellbeing courses on Gold: https://tracking.brightwave.co.uk/lnt/Glasgow/Login.aspx?ts=634993922982812500
- NHS mental health and wellbeing pages: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/
- NHS list of mental health helplines: https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/stress-anxiety-depression/mental-health-helplines/
- NHS urgent help for mental health guidance: https://www.nhs.uk/using-the-nhs/nhs-services/mental-health-services/where-to-get-urgent-help-for-mental-health/