The sport education curriculum at the Glasgow School of Sport is written and delivered by the S&C team with delivery support from the hockey, badminton and swimming teams.
The sport education curriculum enables pupils to gain additional Scottish Curriculum Qualification Framework (SCQF) credits towards the entry points required for college or university as detailed in the following table:
As part of the SCQF Level 6 in Higher Sports Leadership pupils will also undertake the following awards/certificates:
- UK Coaching Child Well-being and Protection in Sport workshop
- SportScotland Coordination and Control workshop
- SportScotland Physical Literacy workshop
- SportScotland Understanding Talent workshop
- National Sports First Aid course
- Disability Inclusion Training (Scottish Disability Sport)
- Level 1 Award in Strength and Conditioning for Sport (QCF)
All S4 pupils participate in a single period of Sport Education per week with S5/6 pupils participating in one double period per week. Sport education is not available to those pupils who choose four academic subjects with Bellahouston Academy.
The long terms plan for the Sport Education Programme is to deliver the Level 6 in Higher Sports Leadership to all S5 pupils, with the Level 3 Diploma in Sporting Excellence also being delivered over S5/6. This qualification will enable recognition/credit for the sport specific component of the Glasgow School of Sport programme for senior pupils. The diploma will enable pupils to gain 64 points on the UCAS tariff system (equivalent UCAS points to an A and B at higher level).