Many criminal offences were recorded in the Burgh or other court records. See our guide on Courts for more information.
Glasgow City Archives holds the historical records of Strathclyde Police and its predecessor forces including the City of Glasgow Police and the County Constabularies of Ayrshire, Argyllshire, Dunbartonshire, Renfrewshire and Bute, and Lanarkshire.
A small series of police court records survive, including but not exclusive to:
- Glasgow Police Court books, 1813-1824 (ref: B3/1/1/1-10)
- Printed list of cases for trial at Glasgow Autumn Circuit, 1825 (ref: SR22/53/1)
- Circuit Court indictments, 1896-1977 (ref: SR22/53/2-3)
- Glasgow Sheriff Court book: criminal indictments, 1815-1819 (ref: SR22/53/5)
- Last sitting of the central police court, Glasgow, 1906 (ref: SR22/63/50)
A few criminal registers, photographic criminal registers and photographic convict registers survive within the police records held at Glasgow City Archives. These include:
- Scottish Criminal Register, including names and photographs of felons, 1926 (ref: SR22/61/24)
- Dunbartonshire Constabulary criminal photographs register, 1903-1914 (ref: SR22/71/8)
- Dunbartonshire Constabulary criminal photographs register, 1907-1908 (ref: SR22/71/9)
- Register of juvenile male offenders sentenced to whipping in the Sheriff Court, 1914-1944 (ref: SR22/77/29/3)
The following for the City of Glasgow:
- Register of prisoners photographed, liberated between 1919-1921 (ref: SR22/61/25)
- Register of salmon poachers, c.1960 (ref: SR22/61/27)
- Register of criminals photographed, 1910-1933 (ref: SR22/63/11)
- Photograph album of criminals, 1911-1912 (ref: SR22/63/12)
- Photograph albums of convicts, c.1934 and c.1930 (ref: SR22/63/19 and 20)
Crimes were also reported in police station occurrence books and sometimes include the names of prisoners retained at stations. There are no surviving station records for Glasgow but there are a number which survive within the County Constabulary records in particular for:
- Ayrshire (ref: SR22/75/1-11)
- Lanarkshire (ref: SR22/82/1-48)
- Argyllshire (ref: SR22/91/4-61)
Records are subject to closure periods under data protection legislation.
These criminal records are not indexed and therefore you should expect a search of the records to take you some time.