Glasgow Code Learning: Pro
Glasgow Code Learning: Pro
Glasgow Code Learning: Pro (SCQF Level 7)Application Form
What is Pro?
Pro is our top level. Pro offers FREE 12 week courses designed for those who want to pursue a career in digital technologies.
There are two pathways: Software Development or Cyber Resilience. They are designed to follow on from our Developer courses in Software Development or Cyber Security.
If you complete Pro, you’ll be awarded an SQA Professional Development Award (PDA) at SCQF Level 7.
Every Pro learner is matched with an expert industry mentor to support learners’ personal development on a 1-to-1 basis throughout their 12 weeks on the programme. Offering feedback on coursework and giving industry insight, our mentors act as role models, demonstrating the careers available in the sector and sharing the experience of their professional journey.
Evelyn, a Pro graduate says:
"I joined this course because it was free and provided vast opportunities. Before starting, I was looking for a job in software. I had been to a few interviews but my lack of commercial experience was showing. I was paired up with a mentor, who let me know about the various hiring programmes that might be suitable for me. After the course finished, I ended up getting a job."
What will I study?
This course is made up of three units:
- Analysis and Design – covers traditional and contemporary trends in software development methodologies including Waterfall, Prototyping, Incremental, Spiral, Rapid Application Development (RAD) and Agile. You will gain practical experience in using various Analysis and Design tools and be able to produce models and apply both the Waterfall and the Agile Development approaches.
- Implementation and Testing – introduces you to the principles and practices of computer programming including the stages in writing a computer program, the basic constructs of programming, algorithms, data types, data structures and testing techniques. You will develop your programming and computational thinking skills by implementing and testing practical solutions using an appropriate software development environment.
- Project – designed to give you the opportunity to apply skills and knowledge of software analysis, design, implementation and testing to produce the components of a software product composed of multiple sub-programs. You will analyse a problem, design the operation and interaction of program components, produce working code to meet requirements, and test a completed solution to prove functional operation.
You’ll gain foundation knowledge and skills in cyber security and develop appropriate skills of the discipline. Units include:
- Cyber Resilience – Cyber resilience is about being able to understand the different threats people and businesses face, the consequences of those attacks and the tools and techniques available to be able to reduce those threats – and quickly recovering if disaster does happen!
- Data Security – You will research real life examples of data security breaches and you will learn some practical tools and techniques to help keep data more secure in transit and at rest. You will research, plan and implement security strategies to help protect data within a business.
- Professionalism and Ethics in Cyber Security – you will learn about the importance of personal privacy, intellectual property rights, digital rights management, corporate responsibility for data security and cyber resilience, and professional codes of practice relating to security professionals. You will gain knowledge of contemporary legislation relating to data security and personal privacy; appreciate the ethical issues facing cyber security specialists; explore the importance of information policies; and find out about the professional bodies that represent security professionals.
- Social Engineering – introduces you to the psychological, behavioural and nontechnical techniques used to compromise information security. The unit covers: human vulnerabilities in computer interaction and data security, common social engineering techniques, preventative measures, and how to advise about, and raise awareness of, this type of threat.
How is Pro taught?
Glasgow Life works in partnership with Glasgow Clyde College to deliver the course as 3x3 hour online, tutor-led classes a week for 12 weeks.
Is Pro right for me?
Pro is designed for people wanting to take their learning to the next level – 55% of the digital workforce have qualifications at SCQF levels 7-10, more than any other level.
- Help you get job-ready qualifications
- Give you greater access to Graduate Apprenticeship opportunities
- Count towards Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) in college and university applications
- Combine with Developer to give you a two-year qualification in only 18 weeks!
Apply for Pro if you have:
- Qualification at SCQF level 5 or above in a related subject – like our Developer courses
- Equivalent relevant experience – you can describe this on the application form