The largest collection of material in the City Archives is that relating to Glasgow Corporation and subsequent authorities.
The archives of Glasgow Corporation and its successor authorities is the largest and most significant collection held in the Archives and represents over 400 years of local government in the Glasgow area.
The records include:
- Council Minutes dating from 1573
- Architectural plans: detailed plans of almost every building erected or altered within the city boundaries since 1885
- School Archives: log books and admission registers for over 300 city schools
- Poor Law Archives: records of the various parochial boards in the city and more than one million applications for poor relief
- Annexed Burghs: archives of the burghs and other areas annexed to the city in the 19th century
There is also a large quantity of records covering the other functions of the city including fire brigade, housing, transport, police, water supply, health services, licensing, parks, galleries and museums, gas and electricity and telephones.
The collections include maps, plans and photographs of the city. Many of the photographs are on the Virtual Mitchell website.
Strathclyde Regional Council and Glasgow City Council
The functions of Glasgow Corporation were taken over in 1975 by Strathclyde Regional Council and Glasgow District Council and again in 1996 by Glasgow City Council. A large part of the records from these authorities are held within our records management system and are not available for direct public access.
Please contact us if you wish to use records from this period.