Thomas Annan (1829 -1887) was the son of a Fife farmer and flax spinner and lived for most of his life in Glasgow. After training and working as a copperplate engraver, he set up a photographic studio in Sauchiehall Street in 1857. Annan concentrated initially on architectural photography but then turned his attention to portraits.
In 1866 Annan was commissioned by Glasgow City Improvement Trust to photograph slum areas in the old part of the city before urban renewal took place. This resulted in the landmark series of photographs, Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow, which was published between 1868 and 1877.
Old Closes and Streets of Glasgow, 1868-1877
Views on the line of the Loch Katrine Water Works, 1859
Memorials of the Old College of Glasgow, 1871
The painted windows of Glasgow Cathedral, 1867
Old Country Houses of the Old Glasgow Gentry, 1870