Universal Credit

Who should I contact for help?

Please contact Universal Support Service for more info.

Contact details at Gain4U

Book an appointment with us

Call us today on 0808 169 9901 to book in for a chat.

Find a library session that suits you

Talk to us about Universal Credit, we're here to help!

If you need to make a NEW CLAIM to one of the following benefits, you will need to claim Universal Credit.

  • Income Support
  • Income-based Job Seekers Allowance
  • Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Child Tax Credit
  • Working Tax Credit


What is Universal Credit?

Universal Credit is a single monthly payment for people in and out of work. It replaces some of the benefits and tax credits that you might be getting now.

You will no longer get different payments from Income-Based Job Seekers Allowance, Income-Related Employment and Support Allowance, Income Support, Tax Credits and Housing Benefit.

If you are already claiming these benefits or tax credits you don’t need to do anything now. The Department for Work and Pensions will get in touch with you before there are any changes to your benefits or tax credits.

Universal Credit combines these amounts into one lump sum paid into your bank account on the same date each month.

Universal Credit is applied for and managed online at www.gov.uk/apply-universal-credit


What do I need to claim Universal Credit?

  • You (and your partner's) National Insurance number, and proof of identity
  • An email address and phone number
  • A bank, building society, post office or credit union account
  • Online access to make your claim and keep it updated
  • Proof of how much rent and any service charges you pay
  • Your landlord’s name and address
  • Details of anyone that lives with you
  • Details of any childcare costs you pay to a registered childcare provider
  • Details of any savings
  • Proof of any other income
  • Proof of your wages

It is important that you have all these things when you make a claim for Universal Credit, otherwise you may have to wait longer until your first payment.


Universal Credit support at Glasgow Libraries

Face to face Universal Credit support is currently available by appointment in selected libraries. This service is appointment based and can be booked by speaking to library staff or calling the freephone number 0808 169 9901.



Library Day Times
Pollok Monday 10.00am-4.00pm
Gorbals Tuesday 2.00pm-6.00pm
Ibrox Wednesday 10.00am-4.00pm
Pollokshaws Friday 10.00am-4.00pm


Library Day Times
Springburn Monday 10.00am-4.00pm
Shettleston Wednesday 10.00am-4.00pm
Bridgeton Friday 10.00am-4.00pm


Library Day Times
Maryhill Tuesday 10.00am - 4.00pm
Anniesland Wednesday 10.00am-4.00pm
Partick Thursday  10.00am-4.00pm