25 September 2017
The museum has 22 themed galleries displaying an astonishing 8000 objects. Here are some of the highlights.
The Dutch Gallery
The city's collection of 17th century Dutch and Flemish Old Masters is one of the largest and finest in the UK and constitutes a collection of international significance.
The French Gallery
The French Gallery features works by important French artists including Monet, Renoir and Pissarro.
Mackintosh and the Glasgow Style
Charles Rennie Mackintosh and the Glasgow Style Gallery features furniture, decorative panels and light fittings from the Ingram Street Tearooms, designed by Mackintosh in 1900-1912. The reconstructed rooms include the Ladies Luncheon Room.
The Glasgow Boys
The Glasgow Boys Gallery features the world’s premier holding of works by the Boys, including Japanese Lady with a Fan by George Henry, 1893-94, Old Willie: The Village Worthy, 1886 by James Guthrie and The Druids: Bringing in the Mistletoe, 1890 a collaboration by George Henry and E A Hornel.
The Scottish Colourists Gallery
The Scottish Colourists Gallery featuring paintings of international significance including Interior: The Orange Blind by FCB Cadell, 1927, Roses by S J Peploe, painted circa 1920 and J D Fergusson’s Grey Day, Paris Plage.
Arms and Armour
The Arms and Armour collection features the Avant Armour, made in Milan around 1440-45 and thought to be the earliest near-complete plate armour in the world. Also prominently featured is the complete set of armour for man and horse, made for the first Earl of Pembroke around 1550.
Fulton’s Orrery is a 3-dimensional model of our solar system, showing the positions and movements of the Sun, planets and moons, as they were understood in the 1820s. One of the largest and most complicated orreries in the world, it is even more remarkable because it was made by self-taught John Fulton as a young man.
Spitfire LA198 is a Mark 21 Spitfire built in 1944 with a Rolls Royce Griffon 61 engine and a five blade propeller. It flew with the 602 (City of Glasgow) Squadron between 1947-1949.
Kelvingrove has a magnificent organ which was built in 1901 by Lewis and Co, of London. There are daily recitals Monday-Saturday at 1pm and on Sunday at 3pm.