Fundraising Supporter Promise
Glasgow Life - registered Scottish Charity No: SC037844
Our mission is to inspire Glasgow’s citizens and visitors to lead richer and more active lives through culture, sport and learning. We are dedicated to providing the best service we can in libraries, museums, galleries and sporting facilities across the city. Generous donations from our Supporters* help to ensure that sporting and cultural activities and programmes are accessible to everyone in the city. The information below sets out how we record and store personal data you give us.
*Supporters refer to anyone that makes a donation to Glasgow Life and provides their details to us. This includes donations to campaigns or signing up to membership programmes such as the Glasgow Museums Patrons Circle, Glasgow Museums Supporters Club and Celtic Rovers.
Who manages your information
The Fundraising Team at Glasgow Life is the controller of any personal information collected by us that is necessary for our processing purposes. Glasgow Life is a registered charity that operates under the name of Culture and Sport Glasgow. Charity number SC037844
Why do we need your personal information
We only ask for the minimum personal data necessary process your donation to:
- process, confirm receipt and to thank you for your donation
- send you fundraising updates and information about upcoming events and activities – but only if you have opted in and consented to receive these mailings from us
- process membership to Celtic Rovers, Patrons’ Circle and Supporters Club – we do not require consent as we’ll use performance of a contract as a legal basis to process your membership and communicate the benefits to you
- process Gift Aid information to HMRC using legitimate interest legal basis
- internal reporting and recording visits to our website using cookies
- sometimes we use profiling to help us identify people who may be able to support our work with a further donation. This is a manual process to help us: - review individuals' previous donations - identify individuals that may wish to join a regular giving programme or support more of our work. We also may use publicly available information (such as web searches & media coverage) to help identify potential new supporters. We only use reputable sources, where someone would expect their information may be read by the public. We avoid any information that we believe has not been lawfully or ethically obtained, and we do not use information sources which have not been broadcast or made public. We are committed to putting you in control of your personal information and you are free at any time to opt out from our profiling activity, just contact the Fundraising Team.
We carry out this work so that our supporters and donors receive informative, tailored communications, reduce unwanted correspondence and enable people to make additional charitable gifts if they choose to do so. Our aim is to ensure our donors are informed about the impact their contribution makes to our work and for the people of Glasgow.
Our profiling practices are in line with the Institute of Fundraising and Direct Marketing Association industry standards. Your personal data will not be used for another purpose and you can opt out from our profiling activities and/or communications at any time.
Please note that you can change your contact preferences to better suit your needs at any time by contacting Glasgow Life’s Fundraising Team:
220 High Street, Glasgow, G4 0QW
Telephone: 0141 276 9515
Information we may ask you to provide
So that we can keep in touch with you and/or process your donations, we require you to complete a donor or membership form. This is either in hard copy or through our online giving facility.
The information you give us may include your name, address, e-mail address and telephone number. It may also require us to receive your financial and credit card information. You will also be able to tell us how you would like us to contact you. This is called your ‘contact preference’.
It's up to you how we communicate with you - update your consent preferences now »
Legal basis for using your personal data
There is some information we will always be required to send you. These are essential communications that may include payment confirmations, member benefits such as newsletters and membership cards, renewal reminders and querying payments or returned mail. Of course, you have the right to ask to stop receiving these communications or opt out of our profiling activities at any time.
Memberships - when you sign up to one of our membership schemes, this forms part of the terms and conditions of your membership where we require your personal information to process the membership and provide the membership benefits.
Bank Details - to allow us to process your payment or set up regular payments, like Direct Debits.
When you consent to Gift Aid on your donation, we are legally obliged to provide your information to HMRC when making our annual Gift Aid claim. The information we provide to HMRC includes your name and address, including postcode. We are required by law to retain this information for 6 years. If you have consented to Gift Aid and then request your personal details be removed from our database, this will be done once the statutory 6 year retention period is over.
We are committed to respecting your privacy and being transparent about how we manage the contact details you share with us. The new data protection regulations gives you greater control and choice in how we manage your information and communicate with you.
We will only ever get in touch with you in the ways that you request, in accordance with your current consent preferences.
We will send you fundraising updates about our appeals, events and activities only if you confirm you would like to receive these communications, and by your chosen method of either:
- by mail
- by email
- by phone
- by text message
Our fundraising activity does not target children but where it is necessary to process a child's personal information, it is on the legal basis of consent, consent of the person with parental responsibility for this child. This is specified on our donation forms.
Where we store your personal data
We respect and treat your personal information with care. All information you provide to us is recorded and stored on secure servers held within the EU. All payment transactions are encrypted. Our online payment service and database has validated compliance with the Payment Card Industry Data Security Standard (PCI DSS) and the Payment Application Data Security Standard (PA DSS).
- we will keep your data for the minimum period
- we are legally obliged to keep Gift Aid records for six years
- consents to our fundraising updates, events and activities will be renewed every two years
Other persons information
Most of the personal information we hold relates to people we are providing services to. But sometimes, we also hold information about other people, where this is necessary for us to carry out our processes.
For example: when a donor buys a membership as a gift for someone else. We will need the name and contact information of the recipient of the gift to send all the information about their membership.
We will contact these other people directly to inform them:
- that we have been provided with their information
- of their rights under the data protection law
- advise them about the terms of this Fundraising Supporter Promise and Glasgow Life's general Privacy Notice
Third parties we may use
We share your information with Glasgow Life service providers to carry out our fundraising processes. We will not sell your data to any other third party.
In order to provide fundraising services, we need to appoint other organisations to carry out some activities on our behalf. The Fundraising team's approved service providers are:
- Blackbaud (Europe) Ltd - our encrypted donor database & secure online payment facility
- Market Developer - our preference centre to record consents
- RSM 2000 Ltd - the system used for our text donations
- World Pay - used to manage offline credit/debit card donations
- HMRC - to claim Gift Aid
- APS and Direct Distribution - for print, mailing and distribution services
These organisations are carefully selected with measures in place for secure transfer and specified use of the data.
You have the right to:
- ask us to amend or delete your information if it is incorrect, out of date or there is no longer justification for us to hold it
- request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you
- tell us at any time to stop using your personal information
- restrict how we use your details
- withdraw your consent at any time to receiving fundraising updates
Fair Processing Guarantee
We will use your information to process your donation and when eligible, process the Gift Aid. In the case of memberships, we will use the information to process your membership and provide the associated benefits.
We hold information on a securely encrypted database. With your consent, this allows us to create a profile of your interests and preferences and ensures that relevant communications are sent to you and that we can tell you about the projects which may interest you.
We only allow service providers who work on our behalf to access your personal data and we will never exchange, sell or rent your details to any other organisation.
You can let us know at any time if you would prefer us not to do this by contacting our Fundraising Team.
Update your consent
It's up to you how we communicate with you - update your consent preferences now »
Changes to our Supporter Promise
We regularly review our Supporter Promise, and may make changes time to time. If we make any significant changes in the way we use your personal information we will make this clear on this page or by contacting you directly.
If you have a query or complaint, please contact the Fundraising Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 0141 276 9515