Justices of the Peace (JPs) are local judges who deal with more minor crimes. In Scotland, the office of Justice of the Peace dates back to 1609, and originally involved administrative, policing and judicial functions.
Glasgow City Archives holds various records which detail the life and career of JPs, for:
- Glasgow, 1893 - 1974
- Renfrew, 1858 - 1974
- Lanark, 1853 - 1973
- Dumbarton, 1879, with annotations for later years
In some cases the records provide Justices’ addresses, occupations and dates of death. The main records useful for family historians are commissions of the peace, lists of Justices, oaths of allegiance and lists of Justices’ deaths and resignations.
Post Office Directories also contain alphabetical lists of JPs. Directories for Glasgow covering 1787 to 1978 can be consulted in Special Collections or the City Archives.