Annual Art Competition
Follow us for news and updates@Museum_Learning
0141 276 9505 / 9506
Glasgow Museums Annual Art Competition for children was first established in 1904 and continues to this day.
The 2019 competition is now open. Simply visit any one of Glasgow’s museums* to take part. Visits are free of charge, and children always enjoy the opportunity to choose their own favourite thing to draw!
From Egyptian artefacts to Victorian transport and contemporary art to medieval armour, our collections have something to inspire all ages and interests. And remember, you can visit any of our museums to draw…so why not visit the Riverside Museum and tie it in with your STEM learning, or be inspired by Mackintosh’s designs for Scotland Street School Museum?
How does the art competition work?
- Drawing must be done in-situ, at one of our museums.
- Artworks can be created using any drawing materials, size A2 or smaller but must be done on paper. Paints (water-based) are permitted at Kelvingrove Museum and the Riverside Museum only.
- Bring your own materials and hand the work in at the Enquiry Desk before you leave.
- Remember to include the child’s name, stage at school and school name on the back. Please write clearly! A blank label can be picked up from most museum enquiry desks.
- All entries must be submitted by Wed 29th May 2019 at any venue (OR Thurs 30th May if submitted at Kelvingrove Museum).
- Judging will take place on Friday 31st May.
- School groups taking part must book in advance by calling the number below.
- Entries are judged within age bands and medal winners will be invited to an award ceremony in Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum in the autumn.
The Leonardo Prize
For 2019 we have an additional prize to celebrate our “Leonardo Da Vinci: A Life in Drawing” exhibition, which is on display at Kelvingrove Museum until the 6th May. Our judges will choose the best drawing of a sculpture by a primary and secondary-aged pupil. Sculptures can be classical or contemporary and be on display at any of our venues - inside or out! The winner will receive a set of drawing materials.
For further information call 0141 276 9505/06 (midweek only) or email firstname.lastname@example.org
*Glasgow Museums are:
Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum; St Mungo Museum of Religious Life & Art; People’s Palace**; Provand’s Lordship; Gallery of Modern Art; Riverside Museum; Scotland Street School Museum; Glasgow Museums Resource Centre and Kelvin Hall. **The People’s Palace is currently closed.
Why not browse our on-line gallery to view the 2018 Gold, Silver and Bronze medal winners?
View the Gold 2018 Gallery
View the Silver 2018 Gallery
View the Bronze 2018 Gallery
Please note that between January and May 6th 2019, the Centre Hall at Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum will be hosting Dippy the Dinosaur. During the latter part of the display period the museum is likely to be busier, and there will be limited access to the Centre Hall up until May 10th. Groups are therefore advised, if possible, to visit Kelvingrove before the Spring break or after the 10th May. Alternatively they can visit any of our other museum venues, including Riverside Museum, St Mungo Museum or the Gallery of Modern Art.