People’s Palace and Winter Gardens - Your museum, Your say
Love the People’s Palace?
Play a part in its future.Donate with us here
The People’s Palace and Winter Gardens hosts a spectacular collection of the stories, images and memories of the people of our great city. It is a wonderful record of how Glaswegians lived, worked and played in years gone by.
The People's Palace opened in 1898, as a centre for culture and entertainment that would build community spirit and promote the health and wellbeing of Glasgow’s citizens. The people of Glasgow and far beyond hold it dear and we want everyone passionate about its future to help shape it.
This is an incredibly exciting time for this treasured museum and glasshouse and the latest proposals, agreed by the City Administration Committee on 10 October 2019, show that we want and need you to be involved in every stage of the project.
"We want the building’s future to be rooted in its past heritage, remaining as a focal point for the communities of the city’s east end while finding new and innovative ways to tell the city’s story. In line with the city’s wider priorities, the People’s Palace could also take on a refreshed role in helping us address a wide range of issues; from contributing to well-being and good health to promoting civic and democratic engagement. I believe the opportunities are limitless for the role that the People’s Place can play in improving life in the city."
Councillor David McDonald, Depute leader of Glasgow City Council and Chair of Glasgow Life
What are the plans just now?
- The displays that tell the social history of Glasgow will still be in the People's Palace and they will be refreshed and improved
- The glasshouse frame of the Winter Garden's will be repaired and retained
- Entry to the museum and public spaces will continue to be free
- You will be at the heart of the development - we want the process to be inclusive and open
How can I get involved?
- We would like to know how do you want to tell us your thoughts and ideas. For example is an online survey a good way? Or would you like public meetings or workshops?
- How do you want us to communicate what’s happening? Newsletters, noticeboards in the venue, by email?
- What would you like to see in the museum and in the glasshouse? A public space for everyone in the community to enjoy, more display spaces, or spaces for events and activities?
- Do you feel it is important that you can continue to feed into the future of the building for years after the People’s Palace and Winter Gardens re-open?
How will the process begin?
We expect the first stage of being able to hear from you will be in January 2020. We will make sure we update this page and our other social media channels with details of how you can get involved in enhancing this invaluable city asset and preserve it for future generations.